Thursday, August 25, 2011

The ABCD effect

You might be wondering, what's with the weird title! Well, its something I happened to discover during our Digital Signal Processing classes in my engineering days. This effect is actually applicable to most of the subjects right from our kindergarten. Let me give you an example to explain what I mean. The name came up from the very same analogy. This effect shows itself in two ways -


Consider a student of class-1 who missed the whole of his kindergarten classes. What I mean is that he has no idea what ABCD...Z is and doesn't even know how to write it. For such a kid, when a teacher writes "CAT", its the same effect as looking at a person drawing a mountain or a hill. For the kid, there's a curve and a few straight lines joined together on the black board. All he can do is take it down, as it is ,and call it "C-A-T" as he's told. This is how I used to understand DSP in my engineering days! For all I knew, X[k] looked good and surprisingly was totally different from x[k] or X(k). So I just took it down and accepted it as was given and called it as Fourier series or transform or something like that!!


Now consider another student of the same class who attended all his kindergarten classes but didn't understand a thing of what was happening. What I mean is that if he sees "CAT", he knows there's a "C"(see) , an "A"(aay) and a "T" (tee). But frustratingly for the kid, the teacher keeps calling it "CAT" when all he can see is "SeeAayTee". And when asked to spell out "BAT" he can find no letter from A-Z which can make it sound like that. Similarly in DSP, even when I understood the meaning of X[k],X(k) or x[k], I had no idea what the heck it was useful for or what could I possibly do with it!!


Then again, there are the perfect students who know their ABCD's , know how it varies and exactly how and where its used. Similarly, there were people in my class who understood DSP very well in those days!!


Since, if you miss anything in kindergarten you don't understand most of Class 1, and so on to Class 2 etc., it can be seen from Mathematical Induction (which I picked up from one of those classes on the way here), that whatever you miss in Class N, is directly the effect of your non-attentiveness in Class M (M<=N).


Anyway, cutting the crap, ABCD effect helped me classify most students in my class during those days...If you manage to classify any other group do let me know so as to expand the ABCD effect :-)

No comments: