Sunday, July 31, 2011

Everybody else's got talent...

From 'X factor' and 'Indian Idol' to 'Entertainment Ke Liye Kuch Bhi Karega', every Tom, Dick and Narayanasamy has got talent. From a 5 year old little girl twirling hula hoops around her waist, limbs or neck to a 50 year old lady performing classical dance on a block of ice, everybody is performing on stage these days.

As I watch them from the idle comforts of my sofa cushions, a wave of frustration sweeps over my entire body. A frustration derived from the fact that I cannot absolutely do anything the people on these talent shows seem to do! I mean have you ever seen the creativity and freshness these people bring to the talent shows? I know for a fact that if I were ever to try any of that stuff, I'd be in Apollo Hospital or Narayana Hrudayalaya with multiple fractures or dislocations with the doctor hovering over me and saying 'Oh dear, Oh God'.

For several years now, I have been searching for one talent to call my own. First I tried my hands at some vocal acrobatics ;-) I fancied my voice quite a lot, more so when I was a kid. My mother used to say that I had a good grasp of  'sa re ga ma' which only meant that I would not have a problem grasping the western music. So, I started belting out Bryan Adam's "Summer of '69" time and again whenever I felt like it, more in the bathroom. But these experiments with vocal acrobatics were soon shown their early grave when my brother threatened to throw me out if I didn't stop :-)

Soon after that, I became 99.99% sure about my true talent when I started doodling cartoons in my engineering notebooks and textbooks. Soon my 'Discrete Graph Theory' and 'Software Engineering' was dotted with several scribbles of my own design. This budding artist in me was soon shot down when one of my lecturers caught me with a funny sketch of himself in the assignment that I had submitted on his desk the day before!

It was after this that I realized that my talent lie not in art but in sports and tried my hand at 'throwball' during my engineering days. After a couple of months of playing for the team, I decided not to stun the audience with my stupidity and quit.


By then, I firmly resolved to abandon my search for a talent in me and accepted the fact that I probably had none. Today I see those talent shows on TV and look back to the days when I tried to find a talent and still despair at not being able to find even one. I’m sure that it’s out there hidden somewhere and that I will trip onto it accidentally.


So until I find it, I remain a jealous hunter :-)

2 comments:

Althaf said...

Who was the lecturer by the way,bhasker rao?love to see your cartoons some time,and i differ from the opinion to call throw ball a sport

L.R.Iyer said...

Yeah you got it right Althaf :-) Well, throwball may not be an internationally recognized sport. I called it so for the want of a better word :-)