Friday, July 15, 2011

In the pursuit of craziness...

Do you ever get this urge to stand up from your cubicle, may be on top of your desk, and start singing on top of your voice or start dancing? Most of us do, don't we? :-) Blame it on the music industry! This thought first struck me when I was working at the Kochi office back in July 2009 and a colleague was playing this song called "Dhan Te Nan" from the movie "Kaminey" whose audio got released somewhere during that time. Now, you really cannot blame me for feeling so? Can you?

If you can, then you belong to the "mango people"(aam aadmi) category. You know, the "do engineering – get a job – get married – buy a house – have a kid – get him/her into school – finish the loans – retire – regret about your life – wait for the eventuality" types. Well sadly, I also belong to this category and I am almost quarter way through :-(

Life has become so monotonous that I feel just like Hrithik Roshan in the song "Main Aisa Kyun Hun". I know, I know...this is the introspection time in my life. And what do I figure out? I figure out that my life outside the workplace (sometimes even at the workplace :-P) is contained to a fixed set of websites:

  1. Gmail 
  2. The Naukri website
  3. The FB & G+
  4. The Youtube videos
  5. The Chat windows – The same people, the same conversations(mostly)
  6. The Property websites
  7. The food websites
  8. The Car websites
  9. Blogger etc.
But it's just not me. Everyone around me is doing the same!! It is like one of those computer games with different levels. The moment you conquer one of these levels, you ought to start giving tips to the others on how to finish the task. For example, the moment you are engaged/married you start giving advise to the singletons asking them how one should start, how a delay might harm your chances of finding 'someone' ever, how you should get tied down soon etc etc., very subtly saying that I have finished the level, and you are kind of lagging behind. 

I ask someone for an explanation as to why I should buy a property now or why I should get married and I get the trademark standard answer – 'That's life'!!! Well, it is life I agree. But are you living it? I am kind of bored asking myself this question time and again. I've had enough of reading "Oh God, its Monday again" status messages or with "What am I doing in this job" statements or the whole lot of jokes revolving around peanuts (salaries) or last but never the least, the "I am bored" statements. 

So what can we do about this situation of mass depression amongst the late twenties people?

Pata nahi.. Pata chalte hi aapko hi pehle bataungi (You'd be the first one to know when I know it myself).....

But we can make a start, can't we? I am not going to say something like quit your job and do what you are passionate about. I am not a hypocrite. Neither a hippopotamus (well, let's discuss this in another post, shall we? :-
)). 

Go ahead and do things that you want. Even if you don't get to do the job you like, it will pay you enough to do things that you like. Take a road trip. Just abscond for a couple of weeks, live under a different name in some island (lol, cant imagine myself doing this anytime but still typing it here just because it sounds great). Learn at least one musical instrument. Explore at least 2 states in the country per year. And keep one of them an unplanned trip. Start cycling. Go swim. And do adventure sports once in every 3 months. Play the games you like. Make a maximum number of movies watching record every month (yeah, I did this and felt great). And try and beat it every next month (yet to do this). 

Go on and add to this list! 




4 comments:

shilpa said...

Nice one Laxmy, I like it. I think most of the people at our age group will be able to relate to it.

L.R.Iyer said...

Thank you Shilpa...was inspired by the various status messages I see everyday :-)

VissuKC said...

Gud 1 Lax... & yeah the last para of suggestions ... I liked it & well 'm glad 'm doing those n 'll continue to do. 'm happy I chose to leave job n study again :)

L.R.Iyer said...

Thanks Vish...Yeah you took a great decision and am very happy for you:-)