Wednesday, May 2, 2012

What do you really need?

We want so many things in life - a luxurious villa facing the ocean, a fat six figure salary, a perfect chiseled goddess-like figure and what not!! Sometimes we do get what we want and many times we don't.

In real life, you usually get things which you really really want if you try hard. Sometimes we also have these good-to-have wish list which usually comes into limelight and life changes around and makes you achieve those wishes. In fact, I have felt this. Many times, there are certain things that I want only in my head. Say for example the sexy job of a high flying consultant. But the heart wants something entirely different. Say for example to settle down in my happy sleepy hometown somewhere down the line or be able to spend more time with my family. So, while I keep telling myself that I want the former, I subconsciously desire the latter. And, something that I really want with all my heart is what I unknowingly work for! And trust me, it works!!

Every time I keep sending such confusing signals to my brain. So, how do I decide what I really need? Get a doctor? Stick electrodes to my hair and monitor my brain waves? Many people have told me that it need not be so complicated. When in confusion, all you need to do is to list down the things that are good to have and the things that you emotionally desire. Both these things feel so similar yet are so different that you think you want something but you actually want something entirely different!

And then, may be you can train your mind like a white rat in a lab or those monkeys and parrots you see on the road performing. Then you picture yourself going through the emotions when you achieve what you really want. Can you picture yourself happy and content there? If yes, then probably your heart can be tricked to really want what your brain wants!!

Confused?? I know!! Isn't that how we really are?? Confused, needy and pathetic life forms!! :-)

2 comments:

Praveen Bhat said...

Nicely confused writing ;-).. No seriously, a good article to spend time on.

I have always had this thing in mind.. Why do we think of 6 [may be 7 ;-)] digit salary..? Why do we dream of owning a villa/vehicle..? And I have felt, it all comes to the point of 'feeding our ever hungry tummy and needs'..

Anjali said...

such is life!