Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Morning Sunshine!

Well, in utter contrast to the post title, I've never been an early bird! Even when I was a kid (and I was like a very obedient thing on the planet in most things those days), waking up early was a herculean task and no one could get me to do it regularly. I still remember the times when my mother would yank me out of bed and throw me straight into the bathroom in an effort to get me to complete my half done homework in time for school or to make me study during the exams. Sometimes she would just throw a big mug of water on me while I would still  be on bed. I even remember that one time when my parents tried waking me and my brother up several times to no avail. Since mom was getting late for work and since we were being so stubborn, she just locked us home and left! I didn't go to school that day because I woke up only at 12 in the afternoon! It was only after a lot of pleading and crying (this I did in front of dad. He always had a really soft corner for me even though I did such naughty things at times) that my mother agreed to write me a leave letter that did not say that I missed school because I was lazy. Ah! such wonderful days :-)

And then college life came along. Life was blissful and I never saw a single sunrise in the 4 years of my engineering unless it was an emergency like I was staying up late to study just a day or two before the actual exams, which was another phenomenon altogether :-)

And then college life was over and it was time to get a job. I happily applied to become a computer professional completely unaware of what was in store for me. I knew some companies in the IT industry started early and some didn't really follow a particular time pattern when it came to work hours. But as time wore on, I realized that depending on the work, sometimes "extra early" would have to become a "normal" for me! And now, here I am. Everyday I wake up at unearthly hours either because sleep eludes me or because I have to get ready for my classes which start so early even on weekends. The little girl who went to bed late on a Friday night, now has to sleep at 10.30 or 11.00 pm itself in order to get the extra hours of her beauty sleep to wake up for the class on time :-)

Now, I try waking up early every day just to catch a glimpse of the sunrise, but the sun beats me to it most of the days :-) Someday, I'd like to take a moment to sit and enjoy that spectacle and not worry about anything in the world. 

4 comments:

N@RE$H said...

childhood memories and college days are always sweet to rewind again and again. I feel like hell to wake at 9 AM now a days :-)

Anjali said...

Someday, I'd like to take a moment to sit and enjoy that spectacle and not worry about anything in the world. ........Come with me on a trip someday :-)

L.R.Iyer said...

@Naresh - Yeah I know how it feels...Once we become a part of the IT industry, its really very difficult to get up early, whatever might be the reason. I always crave for sleep if I happen to wake up early :-)

L.R.Iyer said...

@Anjali - I know, everytime I plan to join you, something or the other comes up! I always feel a little sad for not being able to tag along with you. There's so much to learn! I sure hope to oneday :-)