Saturday, November 12, 2011

Is this the right choice baby?

A while ago, I took this mock English language proficiency test online just to check where I stood when it came to English. I had to answer 75 multiple choice questions in 60 mins! I wasn't particularly worried about the time limit. I mean, I've been studying English right from my school days and it's always been one of my favorites. So, an English test should not be a big deal...right?

Right...well, almost! The paper was mostly okay but there were some tricky ones here and there. Questions, that made me stop and think for a while...the kind of stuff that makes you doubt your abilities...like the words principal/principle, discrete/discreet, advice/advise, collage/college etc. These words are a piece of cake actually. But, sometimes, these are the sort of simple yet complicated words that suddenly fall into the "I'm not so sure" list, even though, deep down, you probably know the right answer!

There was this one question, even though I knew the answer right away, had me stumped for a while as I got suddenly transported to the not so sure domain!! For the grammar aficionados out there (wow, till this moment I thought aficionados had two 'f''s ...thank you spell check, its only one 'f'!), this was the question -

"Either you or I [is/are/am] to blame"  (Choose the right option)

So, there I was, trying to figure out the correct option with a completely confused head. I knew the answer right away but somehow suddenly I was not so sure! I said the line in my head again and again with different options every time, until the sentence with a particular word started sounding alien with one particular option. But as it is, I got more confused. So, I decided to answer the remaining questions and then come back to this one in the end, hoping that by some miracle, I would arrive at the answer when I look at it with a fresh mind. But no such luck! I must have looked like an idiot to my family members as I screwed up my face in all possible ways hoping to get the answer by the right intonation in my head which ultimately showed on my face!! 

I was getting frustrated. I had finished the remaining paper and only this question was troubling me. I have almost always worked grammar this way. If it doesn't sound right when I say it, it probably isn't! What was the right choice? What do you do when your first instinct tells you one answer which you know is right but something else insists that none of the options is the right answer?? Ultimately I answered the question with my first gut instinct.

This got me thinking. What happens when such a confusing question pops in our life and there are only a few valid choices that you can make? Your first instinct tells you that the answer lies in one of the options right in front of you but somehow you feel that none of them is the ideal solution. You imagine your life with the solution fit into it and somehow it doesn't feel good or right. What do you do? How do you choose? What helps you make the right decision? Is it the beauty of life? That there are no right or wrong decisions - just decisions and what 'you' make of them?

Well, I do hope so! :-)

2 comments:

Anjali said...

Oh yeah !! Very familiar with this situation in life and during my MBA exams :p ..I must say my choice of correct options mostly only stayed in my head and I choose the wrong ones :p still managed to come out with flying colors mostly so no regrets ... :)

L.R.Iyer said...

LOL Anjali...Good that you never had trouble choosing the options during the exams and ultimately came out of it with flying colors :-) Wish I could say the same for my life choices!! However no regrets either :-)