Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Ever wonder why?

I've always wondered why people say "Bless You" when you sneeze! There are probably hundreds of reasons but the common ones I've heard are -
  • When you sneeze, your heart stops for a millisecond! I guess saying "bless you" is a way of reviving it!
  • In ancient times, people believed that when you sneezed, your soul flew out of your body and saying "bless you" made it go right back in!
Really weird huh? Well, speaking of sneezing, did you know that if you sneeze too hard, you might fracture a rib? And if you try to suppress it, you might even rupture a blood vessel in your head/neck and die?

Wow...talk about scary huh...

Some other interesting but potentially useless facts that I've heard of are -
  • On an average, more people fear spiders/cockroach/lizards than death!
  • The ant always falls over on its right side when it is intoxicated! I have no idea who had the patience to actually observe this one!!!!
  • Coca-Cola was originally green!
  • The cigarette lighter was invented before the match!
  • The heart pumps blood in the body with enough pressure to send it squirting 30 feet!
I have absolutely no idea how many of these facts are really true and I don't really have the patience to find out. I just thought that it made interesting reading!

2 comments:

Anjali said...

and when u send a mail saying ' Have updated my blog ' tht means I have missed reading a whole lot of them and have no idea how to get a reminder each time u update :p .. It definitely made an interesting post of facts.. :-)

L.R.Iyer said...

Hehe...I will mail you everytime I scribble something. But I haven't written anything prolific and hence didnt share all this while :D