Monday, November 14, 2011

Questionable Thoughts!

Well, the other day, I saw two really close buddies having a big argument. It seemed to me about something really  important. Though they seem to have apologized later and back on track, I have been thinking a lot about it and there seem to be too many questions bugging me!

I just wanted an outlet for those crazy questions. So, brace yourselves!
  • When two people in a close relationship fight or have an argument because one of them said something hurtful, then do they ever get past it? 
  • Does the other person stop hurting even if the person who made the mistake apologizes? 
  • Does the person who apologized ever feel less guilty about whatever they did? 
  • Does apologizing really help? Is there even a thing as to "forgive and forget"? 
  • Is saying sorry really the hardest thing to do? Or is it just a quick and easy way of ending a long drawn-out argument? 
  • Is it ever too late to apologize if you really really mean it? 
  • Does making a mistake condemn you for life? Does every fight come with a price?
  • Why do misunderstandings always creep between those people who supposedly know each other in and out? When friends, siblings, spouses know each other for so long, then shouldn't the arguments become less? Is that the price you pay for that close relationship? 
  • Is it ever possible to be close to someone and never argue? Is there even such a thing as a fight/argument-free relationship? Or, as some say it, does fighting mean you are more affectionate?
  • Why do relationships get more complex the older you grow? Why do things that never bothered you when you were young, get to you when you're older? As a child, you never read between the lines, you never assumed, you were never crazy or paranoid. Why does growing up come with all those extra attachments/baggage? 
  • Does there ever come a point in time when you don't feel confused and lost anymore? How long does it take to attain emotional maturity?
  • Why do I have so many questions? Is there such a thing as "too many questions"? Do any of these questions have answers? Do we just keep asking, in the hopes of finding an answer some day, or do we just accept the fact that they have no answers and stop wondering altogether?

Does any of this make any sense!!?

3 comments:

Anjali said...

I do know tht between friends nothing really matters.We do forgive and forget ..Its not hard to say sorry and its not difficult to move ahead and forget what happened..Have experienced it first hand ...

But, what taunts me is few mistakes in life that we have committed knowingly or un- knowingly and want to forgive ourselves for it.

a) Is it right to ask for self forgiveness when I known I have done something wrong.
b)Its easy to forgive or ask for forgiveness from others for one's own deed but how does one forgive self without having to face the guilt of it ever again and for a fact you know it is the only path to a peaceful mind.

It is teh realization that the mistake lies within.It is teh reflection of our thoughts that we see and hate in others so what is teh point in telling 'I forgive u for u hurt me'.Its more like I need to forgive myself because I'm equally responsible for that mistake.

There are so many mistakes I have done in my life so I don't know if asking for self forgiveness will ever solve the problem without me having to face the guilt again...

Anjali said...

Questions, questions and more questions... Wish we cld find answers for all of them... :)

L.R.Iyer said...

Firstly, thank you so much for taking time off and reading this :-P

Well, I do agree that depending on the kind of relationship we share, it might not be a difficult thing to ask for an apology. But asking for an apology is entirely different than asking the same whole heartedly! I mean if you say sorry after a serious argument, then that might put an end to that argument for the time being yet keep disturbing your conscience for a long time knowing for a fact that you have done something really hurtful!

Yes totally agree that it is the realization of the mistakes committed that hurt more than the fight itself!

I have committed a lot of mistakes myself. And yes the guilt of having done it disturbs my conscience so badly. But then, may be, realizing our mistakes and trying our best to forgive ourselves might hurt less ultimately...