Wednesday, October 5, 2011

What time is it??


Teaching is a tough job you know. I have taught some kids when I was in college and I know first hand. It really is tough! At the end of every academic year, your students are like live, walking-talking report cards. If you happen to do a good job, great! If you don't, then imagine having a report card that jumps around telling every person how pathetically you have scored in the teaching department!


Sometime ago, during a conversation with my friend, she asked me to teach her kids, eight and nine year old, "how to read time on the clock".

So, I told them...

Small hand shows the hour, big hand shows the minute. They nodded. I repeated...
Small hand shows the hour, big hand shows the minute. They nodded. I repeated...
Small hand shows the hour, big hand shows the minute. They nodded. I repeated...

Finally, when I was sure that I had the concept drilled into the very core of their brains, I gave them different times and asked them to mark it on the clock diagram. And guess what, they got it right!!!! :-)

I patted my back and ofcourse theirs too :)


Now, the kids came across a clock which showed this -


Kid - Its 7:50!!!!
Me - No sweetie, you have marked it wrong. Your marking says 6:50!
Kid - ** gave me a confused look!
Me - ** returned the confused look!
Kid - Small hand shows the hour and big hand shows the minute. YOU SAID SO!!!!!!!!!!

So, by THAT logic, 7:50 means small hand on 7 and big hand on 10!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now I know, I suck at teaching :-(

2 comments:

Anjali said...

Lol !! Reminds me of my TSS days back in dell.. Sometimes, kids never grow up :p

L.R.Iyer said...

Lol...yeah Anjali, sometimes kids are just too smart to handle :-)