Monday, July 5, 2010

Anxiety -> Excitement -> Satisfaction....

This is my first blog. I've actually postponed writing this piece for quite some time now. The major problem in starting this blog was as usual the topic. After rummaging through my brain, I came up with this one. Better late than never, isn't it?


It was the first time I was travelling abroad, alone. You can very well imagine the state of my family! But I enjoyed this experience thoroughly, made a lot of friends en-route too! I cannot even describe my euphoria in words when I saw snow for the first time. Well, now its been some time since I left home and came down here to Germany. Its such a beautiful country with nice scenic beauty and nicer people to give you company.


Initially in the first few days of arriving here, everything I saw was new, exciting and euphoric. I started anticipating everything that I was about to experience. I was eager to learn German. I went out every weekend and saw different places and even clicked many photographs.


Slowly, as time passed, all that initial excitement began to wane. I started feeling frustrated and lonely. I felt really bad at being called a foreigner. I was missing my family terribly. The feelings of anxiety and homesickness began to creep in.


Then, slowly I started developing an understanding of the country I was living in. A more balanced view of life. By this time, I had made new friends. I analysed the good and bad between the new country I was in and my home country. Over the time, I felt less like a foreigner and was more confident that I could live successfully in two different cultures.


But, the initial child like excitement of seeing new places and meeting new people, the anxiety, all the prayers that I sent up to god (hope he isn't very unhappy with me now) to make things right for me at every stage, the new culture and a completely alien language (culture shock) , missing my family, wishing they were here with me in such a lovely place experiencing the same joy...all this is, just "priceless".


Here are some photos to share that excitement :-)











1 comment:

Akanksha Sharma said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.