Wednesday, May 11, 2011

The birthday wish

A few days before his birthday, little Richie came into the kitchen where his mother was making dinner and decided that this was the correct time to tell her what he wanted for his birthday.

Richie - Mom, I want a red bike for this birthday.
Mom - Do you think you deserve the bike dear? (little Richie was a troublemaker both at home and at school. His mother wanted Richie to reflect on his behavior and realize for himself how he had behaved)
Richie - Of course Mom...I do.
Mom - Richie dear, I want you to go to your room, reflect on your behavior this past year and then write a letter to God telling him why you deserve a red bike this year for your birthday.
Richie - Oh c'mon mom...
but then reluctantly stomped to his room and sat down to write his letter.

Letter #1:
Dear God,
I have been a very good boy this year and so I want a red bike this year for my birthday. Your friend.

Richie knew this was not true and that he had not been such a good boy this year. So, he tore that letter and set about writing another one.

Letter #2:
Dear God,
This is your friend Richie. I have been a good boy and would like a red bike for my birthday. Thank you. Your friend Richie.

Richie knew this wasn't true either. So he tore this one too and wrote another one.

Letter #3:
Dear God,
I have been an OK boy this year. I still would really like a bike this year for my birthday.

Richie knew he couldn't send this letter either. So, he wrote his fourth letter.

Letter #4:
Dear God,
I know I haven't been a very good boy this year. I am very sorry. I will be a good boy if you send me a red bike for my birthday. Please. Thank you.

But little Richie knew this letter won't get him his bike. He was very upset. So, he went down to the kitchen and told his mom that he wanted to go to the church. His mom was very happy thinking that her son had finally realized what she wanted him to. So she asked him to be back home before dinner.

Once at the church, he looked around to make sure no one was watching him. Then he went to the altar, bent down, picked up the statue of Virgin Mary, hid it inside his shirt and ran back to his home, rushed inside his room, locked it and sat down to write another letter.

Letter #5:
God, I HAVE KIDNAPPED YOUR MOM...IF YOU WANT TO SEE HER AGAIN, SEND ME A RED BIKE!!!!
-Richie