Sunday, February 5, 2017

The "I-Me-Myself" syndrome

These days, I see several people who are more egocentric than we ever used to be! I find that they have a somewhat deluded sense of their own fabulousness, they lack basic courtesy, seem to believe that they are more attractive than they actually are, have trouble accepting criticism and extending empathy because they are so preoccupied with themselves. They have very high expectations about themselves and everyone in their life. Of course, there is nothing wrong with having high expectations. But being delusional and having a totally unrealistic blueprint on life are entirely different. And I find that these things often go hand in hand. Someone once said that this is called acute ego-itis syndrome. They increasingly believe that the universe actually revolves around them.

Yes, I am not kidding! There really are several people like this out there and we shouldn't mistake ego for confidence. Those two are way too different.

I sometimes wonder if all this sense of entitlement/self importance is because of the internet, reality TV where fame without talent is just a click away, easy credit or our highly competitive and individualistic society? We seem to be having pretentious rich people who in reality have huge debts, plastic surgery beauties, insincere people who have fame through local TV or youtube videos and a list of fake friends through the social network.

I wish I could take a pin/needle and 'pop' their ego.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Partner... you hit the nail directly on its head. And yes- social media is fostering this egocentric pandemic without people even realising. Social media is the ultimate means, mode, and frequency for propagation of propaganda. Need to keep people divided? Give them a "look how great I am" platform. "The things that pass for knowledge I can't understand" STEELY DAN